Tradition Meets the Future – The History of Elmo Rietschle
Both Elmo and Rietschle can look back on an impressive string of successes that have marked industry milestones for more than one hundred years.
As early as 1903 Elmo was granted the Imperial Patent for the world's first liquid ring vacuum pump; just three years later a smaller Elmo vacuum pump was used in Germany's first vacuum cleaner. Elmo was then, and actually until 2002, a brand of Siemens. The first side channel blower was introduced in 1963 and revolutionized the vacuum and pressure market. The emphasis on designing and building the highest quality machines and providing engineering support of outstanding professionalism has been the trademark of Elmo. After the turn of the millenium and its spin-off from Siemens, Elmo merged with Nash Industries, a former US competitor, to form nash_elmo.
Driven by the ingenious Werner Rietschle, who started his own company after World War II, Rietschle soon became a well-known supplier of fine vacuum pumps and compressors, earning itself the reputation of being highly customer-focussed, flexible and innovative. In 2002 the company was acquired by Thomas Industries to become Rietschle Thomas. By then it had built an impressive network of production facilities and sales offices worldwide. Special emphasis was put on providing after sales service and support for thousands of customers who use the many different product types Rietschle builds.
Gardner Denver bought both companies in 2005/2006 to form the Elmo Rietschle brand.